Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Reflection and New Beginnings

Hi all!

Happy Wednesday and last day of the year! I cannot believe that it is the final day of 2014. This year has absolutely flown by,they always seem to. Tomorrow marks a fresh start, a new year. That's the joy of our lives, each day is a clean slate and we can start anew. It is a definite blessing. Man, let me tell you, many days I need that fresh start. 

How are you all going to be ringing in the new year? I'll be at home and will probably be ringing in the new year with a book. Boring, right?!? Oh well, that's my life. I'm not a huge drinker and going out to a bar or party isn't really my scene. 

Thinking about the new year approaching, makes me think about resolutions. Do any of you make New Year's resolutions? Personally, I don't because I have read the research and it's astonishing how few of those resolutions are accomplished. I do understand why people make these resolutions, they want to make a change and better their life. Honestly, how many of us have made a New Year's resolution to lose weight? Stop drinking or smoking? Save money? Get married or in a serious relationship? The list could go on forever. I wonder how much money gyms make this time of year? It must be staggering. Do you know how many times in the past I have made a resolution to lose weight and keep it off? More than I'd like to admit, that's how many times. And here I am, coming in to 2015 and I am still trying to lose weight and keep it off. If you think about it, a resolution is no different from the goals I wrote about yesterday. There are zero differences between them. However, to me, I am more likely to strive to reach my goal than to reach my resolution. Don't ask me why, that's just how my mind works. And let me tell you, my mind is definitely crazy and all over the place. :) 

Anyways... goals (resolutions) are absolutely wonderful, I definitely promote coming up with goals for yourself. I do this on a monthly basis, at the very least, many times it's a weekly thing for me. We all have big goals that we want to achieve, my big goal is to lose between 150 and 160 pounds. That is a huge goal, believe me, it looks impossible on paper. This is why, smaller goals are important as well. When I break it up into, losing 1 pound/week or 4 pounds/month, that is much more achievable. Not to mention, it keeps me motivated. It makes me so sad when I read some individuals goals and I see how unrealistic they are, these individuals will probably not achieve what they hope to. My heart breaks for them, when they don't achieve their goals and then they lose hope and just give up. All too often we set ourselves up for failure though, by setting the bar way too high. Believe me, I have set myself up for failure numerous times, that's when I fell off the weight loss wagon and gained weight. People, here is my hearts desire for all of you: DO NOT SET YOURSELF UP FOR FAILURE. Please, please, please, set reasonable and achievable goals for yourself. Your emotional well-being will thank you. 

Okay, now onto my reflections of 2014. It has been quite the year, that's for sure. There have been many highs and lows, like always. Overall though, it has been a great year. I have been relatively healthy, no major illnesses. I have some amazing friends. My family is pretty great (most of the time). And I am only 5 months away from graduating with my Bachelor's degree. Although I can't wait for certain aspects of my life to change in the coming year, life is good. I am definitely blessed.

Ha, before I started this post, I thought it was going to be a short, little thing. Well, so much for that. I should know myself better than that, I write way too much most of the time. :) That's my detail-oriented brain, for ya. Oh well, it could be worse, I suppose. Here are my final thoughts for this year and looking ahead. 

My hope for the upcoming year is that I will live and love with abandon. I will love myself unconditionally, no matter my weight and clothing size. I will take whatever life throws at me and enjoy it. I will take risks. Most importantly, I will live with no regrets. I'm in my mid-20's for goodness sake. Now is the time to live life to the fullest, with no regrets. Yes, I'll make mistakes, but I'll own them. How will I ever learn if I don't try new things? My aspirations for the year are high, who knows what will happen? Only time will tell. Hopefully, I'll be starting a new chapter of my life in 2015: moving across the country and beginning graduate school. I'll meet new people and maybe if I'm lucky, I'll fall in love. No matter what happens though, I'm looking forward to the adventure that lies ahead.

Tomorrow begins a new adventure, enjoy the ride folks. For me, tomorrow also holds the first weigh-in and measurements session of the year. Hopefully I'll be posting my weigh-in and measurements tomorrow, otherwise I'll post that update on Friday for sure. I hope that you all have an absolutely wonderful and safe New Year's eve and ultimately a great 2015. Catch you all next year ;) Until next time!

~Sara~

No comments:

Post a Comment