Friday, January 4, 2013

Year 1 Day 105 (Day 470)

It is absolutely beautiful out today, the sun is shining and it's not suppose to be all that cold today. :)

Well let me tell you, it was quite a sight this morning. I was having a Skype date with my love and he was trying to get me to say a phrase that he taught me in Urdu last night. But then all of a sudden he began speaking Spanish (I've taught me a little of it). So here we are, me who speaks English and Abid who speaks  Urdu and English fairly well, and what language were we speaking this morning? Spanish, of course, why would we speak one of the languages that either of us are fluent in. This is one reason why I love Abid so much, he always keeps life interesting. :)

As I have mentioned in a previous blog, I have been keeping track of points this week. And thank God I have never joined weight watchers because I'd never be able to handle eating that little, at least right now. Every day, of the 3 days I've done it, I've been over my points by at least 15. And that's while I am still right in my calorie goal for the day. Take today for instance, for breakfast alone I used up 14 of my 36 points, eating oatmeal with 1 TBSP of peanut butter, 1 TBSP brown sugar and 1 serving of fruit. It was healthy and only had about 380 calories, which is a little low calorie wise for my breakfast. I still want to keep track of them for the rest of this month, but it is not something that I will do for the rest of my life. It's no wonder why people can lose weight on the program though, I would never be eating in my calorie range. I'd have such a high calorie deficit even before exercise, it would be ridiculous.

I have to do a little rant about something that made me angry this morning. There is a lady on one of the fitness/weight loss sites I am on. She updated her status on how she was upset that the scale hasn't moved for one reason or another. So I commented on it, just trying to offer some motivation and I said something along the lines of, "Keep up your hard work and you will see results." Plus I asked,"Do you take measurements because that would be another way to see results instead of just relying on the scale." I didn't think it was that big of a deal to say that, because measurements are a great way to track your progress. But later she called me out saying how the scale is the only way she will ever measure her progress because it is the best way. I'm a polite person, so I didn't say this but I wanted to, "Is a specific number on the scale really that important? Personally I would rather weigh more and be toned than have a specific number."
Everyone is different, but from personal experience, we should not rely on the scale so much. This stupid little machine does not equate our worth. It is just a number. It does not show our love. It does not show our passion. It shows nothing besides a number. I truly wish that our society did not rely on the scale so much but that we would rely more on how we feel and even measurements are a better tool. There will always be some people who feel the need to rely on that number but that's one thing that's wrong with our society.

Day 3 of the 30DS is complete, 27 days to go. In this picture, I'm still sitting on the ground because my legs were burning like crazy. In fact, they still are hurting, but I know that I'm doing my body good. At this moment, it feels like my legs will never feel better. Over the past 3 days, I have done at least 107 squats, 100 lunges and 100 side lunges (I didn't have the exact numbers for day 1, so it probably is a little more for each one). It's no wonder why I'm hurting, but I think it will be awesome to be able to see how many of each exercise I have done. But today I changed things up a little bit, I went through the video and wrote down all of the exercises and how long each one lasted. So now I don't need to have the video playing in order to get my workout in. I think it will be better for me because I can focus more on the exercises and my form. When I'm following the video I feel more obligated to go at the pace that everyone in the video is doing but that is usually not the best for me.

I definitely have realized that I need to set aside more calories for the evening. It seems like every night I am hungry but have already eaten all of my calories for the day. So I'm going to try and use more calories after dinner than before. At this moment, I will have about 400 calories left over after my dinner. While on this topic, as each day passes, I really want to buy a HRM. I want to more accurately track my calories burned and since I do eat back some of my exercise calories I want to know how many calories I have available. But I guess that will happen when I am financially able to buy one.

I suppose, it's time to get a few things done before I start dinner. So until next time.

~Sara~

2 comments:

  1. What version of Weight Watchers were you using? I'm only curious. I find that I rarely use my points for the day and try not to go into my 49 and I also track my calories with myfitnesspal and weight watchers and the daily calories suggested usually matches up pretty closely.

    My calculations are that a cup of hot, cooked oatmeal is 4 pts, 2 tbsp spoons of creamy peanut butter is 5 pts so for half would be 2.5, and for a tbsp of brown sugar is 1 point, fresh fruit is 0 so it looks like your breakfast would mabe have been 7.5 pts. A tsp of brown sugar is 0pts so even if you could cut that then you'd be around 6.5 pts for breakfast.

    Anyway, that is just my calculation! Only trying to help because you are right, for what you've listed as eating it doesn't seem right that you'd use up so many points on so little calories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on myfitnesspal as well, I use that a ton for tracking my calories. Honestly, I like their food tracker more than spark people's.

    Well I had been going with the points plus, but when I went with the original system it ended up being a little closer. So I think for the rest of this month, I may track that instead. We'll see how it adds up at the end of the month. But I may also recalculate my points allowed for the day, that may be where I was off as well.

    ReplyDelete